maa kaali ji
Shri Kali Mata Temple is situated opposite the Baradari garden at Mall Road in Patiala (Punjab). This Temple was built by the Sikh ruler, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh. He was the ruling Maharaja of the princely state of Patiala from 1900 to 1938. He financed the construction of the temple in his capital and oversaw its installation in 1936. He was inspired to build this temple and bring the 6 foot statue of divine Mother Kali and Paawan Jyoti from Bengal to Patiala. He offered a first 'Bali' (sacrifice) of a water buffalo to the temple. Because of its splendid beauty, the temple has been declared a national monument. This large complex attracts Hindu and Sikh devotees from distant places. A much older temple of Raj Rajeshwari is also situated in the centre of this complex. Devotees offer mustard oil, daal, sweets, coconuts, bangles and chunnis, as well as goats, hens and liquor, to the divine Mother. As an average estimate, devotees offer more than 60,000 liquor bottles during Navratras alone, which goes into a 'Sharab Kund' built on the temple's premises. Anyone who makes his /her presence before Maa, with a pure heart and soul, receives her kind blessings instantly.